Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Captain America

last day of sole possession of back seat
"...O Captain! My Captain! rise up and hear the bells..." — Walt Whitman

I have always liked dogs. I think big dogs are fun dogs. Two greyhounds now live with me, and my nephew. Most greyhounds are property of the racing/gambling industry. Most are discarded when no profit is seen in them. Discarded usually means killed, but there has been a growing rescue movement.

There are show dogs of over an hundred breeds in America, and they have pedigrees, and are registered with the American Kennel Club. I am sure, you have heard the term 'papers', as in the "dog has papers". Racing hounds are registered with National Greyhound Association, and some dogs' ancestors are on paper for two or three dozen generations.

Greyhounds were sculpted and painted by the Egyptians, and the faro had such hounds. Odysseus had a greyhound, Argus, who was the only one who recognised him on his return. Alexander had Peritas who saved him, and perished, in an attack by elephant in combat. There is much in mediæval lore concerning greyhounds.

Greyhounds deserve (as other creatures) to live. Sometime ago, in continuous rain, we went to the Spooky Pooch Parade in Lakewood, and i first met greyhounds. After some time, my first greyhound came home on my birthday, over a year ago. My second, on April Fools Day. So we are getting to know him.

Some greyhound rescue shelters will not take black hounds. When we looked at the available hounds, the best looking animal was a black one. When we walked him, he was so easy to pace, and fought the lead not at all. He, Captain America, was our boy.  And males are harder to place than females. Such a beautiful animal, with so many strikes against him.

No comments:

Post a Comment